5 Garage Storage Solutions for a Clutter-Free Space
Updated February 2023
If you're like most people, you probably dread looking at your garage. It's dark. It's dirty. It's piled high with half-empty paint cans, sports equipment, random tools and other "stuff" — it's basically a giant junk drawer for your home.
Wouldn't it be great to get all that stuff organized so it's out of the way, yet easily accessible when you need it? We think so too! Luckily, there’s no shortage of garage storage options available to help you tame the clutter and get organized once and for all.
Garage clutter got you down? Declutter and organize with these five garage storage solutions from Hello Garage!
Declutter & Organize With These 5 Garage Storage Solutions
We find that the best way to tackle garage clutter is a mix-and-match approach that gives you a tailored garage storage solution that fits your family's unique needs. After all, the point is to choose a system that fits your needs — not the needs of the person who designed it! Whatever options you choose, make sure they're built to last and designed to maximize your space. Oh and it would be nice if they look good too, right?
As a garage pro, you can trust that we’ve put a lot of thought into what makes garage storage great. We’ve compared a bunch of storage options, and we can confidently say that there are five products that meet all three of our criteria — durable, functional and beautiful.
- Garage Shelving
- Garage Cabinets
- Garage Workbenches
- Garage Drop Zones
- Overhead Garage Storage
Let's take a closer look at these garage storage options, including how they can help you declutter and organize your garage and what to look for in each!
1. Garage Shelving
Our shelves feature a configurable design, making it easy to create a custom setup.
Is your garage full of clutter that needs a place where it'll be out of the way but still accessible? Then shelving should be your first choice. But don’t pick just any garage shelving!
Signs of high-quality garage shelving:
- Is it customizable? Garage shelves should adapt to your unique space and lifestyle. Look for solutions that offer different shelf depths and the ability to move shelves to different heights without completely uninstalling and reinstalling the entire unit.
- Make sure the shelving is well-made and constructed of durable materials.
- If you're storing heavy items, look for shelving that's mounted to sturdy upright brackets that are secured to your garage's studs. Also, pay close attention to the shelves' capacity ratings.
Built from heavy-gauge powder-coated steel, durable garage shelving from Hello Garage is strong enough for industrial use but available for your home garage. These shelves are attached to heavy-duty steel uprights that are anchored to your garage walls. As a result, they are seriously strong and sturdy — each shelf can hold up to 300 pounds of evenly distributed weight!
Don’t need a full shelving unit? Consider a floating garage shelf! They’re simple, sleek and can be installed pretty much anywhere. Talk about versatility! With a weight capacity of 100 pounds, you can easily store paint cans, decor, storage totes and more up and out of the way.
2. Garage Cabinets
Garage cabinets why Hello Garage keep items both out of sight and close at hand.
If you have items that need to be kept out of sight, cabinets make the ideal garage storage solution. There are many garage cabinets to choose from, and they often come in a variety of styles and depths. However, not all garage cabinets are created equal. Consider the following when utilizing this garage storage solution.
What to look for in garage cabinets:
- Once again, look for cabinets that can be customized for your particular needs. For instance, can two cabinets be combined to create one large one?
- Sturdy materials are a must here. Look for heavy-gauge steel that's coated to resist corrosion.
- Pay attention to doors. If they swing out, do they have soft-close hinges to prevent items — and fingers — from getting slammed inside?
Manufactured in the USA and made from industrial-strength welded steel, garage cabinets by Hello Garage are designed to be custom-configured to give any garage a clean, organized look. This garage storage solution starts with Hello Garage's super-strong uprights and shelves but adds steel backs, sides and tops to enclose the entire system. Swing-open doors with soft-close hinges complete the look.
3. Garage Workbench
A workbench offers a dedicated workspace with plenty of room for supplies!
Everyone should have a dedicated space for hobbies, repairs, etc. After all, your kitchen table is for eating, not for doing projects! Enter the garage workbench, a versatile storage solution and workspace all in one. With built-in storage and a work surface, you can easily keep frequently used tools at hand without cluttering up your workspace.
Characteristics of a great garage workbench:
- Ideally, a workbench should provide a smooth horizontal surface for projects, crafts repairs and other tasks.
- Look for a bench that's both sturdy and durable to stand up to years of use and abuse.
- Smaller hand tools should be easily accessible via pegboard or another organization system.
The Hello Garage Workbench gives you the perfect spot for hobbies, crafts and just about anything else that you need to do involving tools, glue and a little imagination. A solid butcher-block version is available for a classic look and increased durability. It also comes with a pegboard to organize your tool collection.
4. Garage Drop Zone
This garage storage solution houses everything from dirty shoes and boots to coats and bags.
A drop zone is the perfect way to connect your home to your garage. It provides a dedicated spot to sit down and remove muddy boots, dirty shoes or rain gear. It also gives you a space to hang and store coats, bags, backpacks and seasonal items.
What makes a good garage dropzone?
- A drop zone is something you’ll use every day. With that in mind, sturdy, durable construction is crucial.
- Look for coated, heavy-duty steel construction.
- Shelving should also be industrial-strength and coated to resist rust.
- Baskets and other storage accessories should fit neatly to provide quick access to smaller or seasonal items.
The Hello Garage Drop Zone features sturdy uprights, shelving and hooks that are all made from industrial-grade steel. Once installed, it's like having a mudroom — without having to construct an actual mudroom.
5. Overhead Garage Storage
Keep bulky items up high and out of the way with overhead garage storage solutions.
Have a lot of heavy, bulky stuff taking up too much space on the floor? Store it up high! Overhead garage storage is a great way to free up floor space while still keeping things like camping gear, sports equipment and other items organized.
What to look for in overhead garage storage:
- Choose overhead storage units that are lightweight but still heavy-duty enough to hold a lot of bulky stuff.
- Adjustable options make it easy to customize your overhead storage to accommodate varying ceiling heights.
- Pay attention to how they’re installed to ensure they can handle the weight of heavy items.
Overhead garage storage by Hello Garage is made with heavy-duty steel and professionally installed, meaning they’re strong enough to hold even the bulkiest of items. In fact, each unit can hold up to 500 pounds! Better yet, multiple units can be configured together to maximize your overhead space.
Organize your entire garage space with these customizable storage options from Hello Garage.
Make the Most Of Your Garage Storage
Once you’ve decided what kind of garage storage you need, it’s time to locate a company that offers them. While you could purchase a mishmash of products from a big box store, working with a dedicated garage makeover company gives you more options — and better results! Plus, they can help you determine the right layout and mix and match the solutions that best work for your garage and budget.
Best of all, garage storage and organization solutions from a company like Hello Garage are professionally configured and installed by friendly, knowledgeable experts. With great training and plenty of experience, you can rest easy knowing your garage storage was installed right from the get-go.
Open Up the Possibilities with Hello Garage Storage Options
Once your garage is decluttered and organized, there's no telling what you'll do in there. In addition to storing your vehicles and the aforementioned hobbies and crafts, you could turn it into a home gym or yoga studio. Or maybe a rehearsal space for your kids' garage band. A decluttered garage even makes the perfect spot for graduation parties and other family get-togethers! The point is, what you do with it is up to you. But you've got to organize it first!
Hello Garage can help you declutter your life and take your garage to the next level. You can count on our dedicated Garage Gurus to design an organized space that will fit all of your needs.
To book your storage consultation and free estimate, call 1-888-59-GARAGE or book online.